Sunday, February 1, 2009

What's the Purpose of This Site?

To encourage teachers and students in the ECU English and Languages department to exchange ideas about matters related to our discipline.

Two more important questions:

We already have a list serv. Why do we need a website?

Need is too strong a word. But I know that I, for one, am more reluctant to send everyone in the department an e-mail account of my thoughts about a particular issue than I am to post a comment on a website that others might choose to check out if and when they have time and interest. I have also found that I like to clean out my e-mail box by either deleting or archiving messages as soon as I can. A website dedicated to an exchange of ideas won’t get mixed up with to-do lists or clutter up anyone’s mailbox.

Aren’t we all too busy to sustain any kind of conversation on such a website?

Maybe. But if this website leads to one thought-provoking discussion that wouldn’t have occurred without it, then I will declare it a success. And, as a matter of fact, it has already done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment